Monday, January 3, 2011

Friends...How Many Of US Have Them?



First off....listen to the song. No really, listen to it.

Ok...

So, I was thinking the other day about my life.

You know, another one of those moments of self evaluation and reflection that people think makes you "deep."

And I can honestly say that I probably have some of the best friends in LIFE. I'm VERY protective of my friends. VERY protective. Most of the folks I consider friends have completely transcended the title. They're actually more like family now. For example I've known my boy "Runway de Jesus" (don't ask...) now for like 16 years. My boy "6 Names" has been down with me for 20+ years. "Bad Ass Yella Boy" has been down for like 13 now. "Father of The Year" has been down for 11.

If I was a rapper, I'd have a serious ass entourage. We'd take the stage and be a whole slew of educated brothas and sistas in suits and business attire. Plus we'd have our big chains, tattoos, and handguns courtesy of our Def Jam/Universal Rapper's Starter Kit...but I digress.

Seriously, check the people around you. If you're not surrounded by people that you have a mutual sense of admiration and respect for, then you're not really around friends.

Look at it like this.

My personal definition of love is "When someone else's needs meet or exceed your own."

If my boy "6 Names" calls me tomorrow and says, "Bruh, I'm tapped out until the 15th. I don't know how I'm gonna eat or keep these lights on." If I got it, he's got it. If I don't have it, we're going to figure out a way TOGETHER to get it.

I know me and "Runway de Jesus" have spent MUCH time together trying to come up with a solution to alot of my problems...everything from finances to women. Mostly women because they tend to cause me ALOT of problems. Don't judge me...

So, if you have no one to lean on, talk to, or help you through life...that's a pretty sad existence. I can understand keeping to yourself. I'm an extrovert that keeps to himself. I know its a contradiction in terms but who cares. I understand being a loner. I'm a loner. I'm alone 90% of my life and I often go places alone. So I understand not being "sociable"...

However, I also know that there has NEVER been a great man in the history of this Earth that has gotten there a) alone and b) without a great deal of support. Even if it was just ONE person. Who knows, that ONE friend may be Atlas and can support the weight of your ENTIRE WORLD...even when you're too weak to....think about it...

More after the break...



How much you wanna bet that Chilli had her baby hair sideburns under all that hair?

Anyway, back to friends...

Here's a question you have to ask yourself...how honest are you with your friends? No really...

The knee jerk response just MAY be the wrong one. For example, say you and somebody are going through a break up. Do you tell your friends what YOU'VE done to contribute to the breakup? Maybe you lied about something...maybe you were unfaithful...anything. Do you tell them that? I'm willing to bet a lot of us don't.

I know with certain people its always gonna be about what the OTHER person did. So I make it a point to ask, "What did you do?"

My true friends know most of the messed up stuff I've done and a lot of the good things I've done too. They know that I have a huge heart and a VERY ugly temper. Its a good thing I don't get mad very often. They know that if they are down...I'm there for them. When they're up, I'm there for them. When they're wrong, I let them know. Often harshly. When they're right, I support them wholeheartedly.

One thing about it is, that they tell me I'm wrong too. Its got to go both ways.

My friends tell me all the time. "You know you F%$&ed up right?"....

No forreal, that's how they let me know I'm wrong.

Truth be told though, I'd rather have you tell me the truth to my face than have me delusional/misinformed about everything.

Its really easy to support your boys when you think they've been done wrong. Its tougher to tell them man to man though, "Hey, you're wrong and you need to make this right..."

Be back with a story of friendship and when keepin' it gangsta goes wrong after the break...



Ok, so me and Runway de Jesus have been down for a long time. Every time he's gotten into an altercation or come close to one, I've been there to be the ignant angel on his shoulder saying "Slap him. Slap him. I bet you won't slap him. Slap him." Well, here's one situation that was downright ignant at the time and kinda funny afterwards.

So its me, Runway de Jesus, J., J's girlfriend, and another female companion. We're out chilling. We just left dinner at a pretty good restaurant and Runway and I had more alcohol in us than the Surgeon General would suggest.

We decide to go to a nearby club and do some dancing and more likka consuming. As we're walking to the club, J's girlfriend's ex (way too convoluted connection, right?) starts trying to converse with J's girlfriend. Not like, "Hey, how you doin? How ya been?" More like, "Why you wit this chump? Come get with me baby." kind of converse.

I was completely unaware of the situation at first because I'd just seen two of my boys from my umm....we'll call them "hustlin'" days and one of my fraternity brothers. So I'm on the sidewalk talking to them and cracking on people. I look back at my people and J. is talking to some dude in a linen pants set with some ashy dress shoes. They look like they're having one of those fierce whispering grown men conversations that happen when smart brothas wanna fight but don't want everybody to know it.

So, I point this out to my peoples and say, "That looks interesting right there. Somethin' is about to pop off." My Napoleon Complex takes over and I'm ready to fight IMMEDIATELY. I'm just waiting for the scene to unfold.

Runway de Jesus, on the other hand, is more of a peaceful brotha. He goes over and steps in front of J. and tries to be the peacemaker. Now I'm REALLY amped up. If you lay a FINGER on one of my friends, I go completely blank and try to put you in the hospital.

Runway is being really calm and nice. I look away for a second because a young lady in what appears to be a kneepad stretched into a dress of some sort walks by and distracts me. When I look back up, Runway is HEATED beyond belief. I'm excited and ready to throw hands at this point. So me and my folks, who also like to fight, walk over there.

I'm standing behind runway and I'm saying in a low tone but loud enough for everyone in the vicinity to hear me, "I want you to hit him. Please hit him. I dare you to. I DARE you to."

Runway is amped, he says, "Bruh, I will f&*$ you UP out here! Who the f&%$ are you talkin' to?!?!?!"

I'm SOOOO excited now, I'm almost ready to jump over and slap the dude with the linen outfit on myself. THEN...it happens.

Runway, who's never been the most gangsta dude on Earth, says the most awkward thing I've ever heard come out of an angry man's mouth.

Runway say, "N!&&@ don't you know I'll RAPE you out here in front of everybody?!?!?!"

SCHKUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRK

*Pause*

Wait a minute... huh?

Did he just?

Nah...

Yeah...he said it.

Me and my folks stood there...mouths open...stunned...completely awestruck.

One of my folks said, "Nah bruh, I can't ride wit you on that one."

Well Mr. Man of Fashion Linen Set must've believed him, because the entire convo ended right there...

I grabbed Runway's arm and started pulling him back down the sidewalk towards another club...

I told him, "Look bruh...I'm gon' ride with you regardless...but you really can't be threatening to rape people in public...especially not dudes...."

Runway looks at me and says, "Man F%$# that dude...that $#!t was kinda messed up though huh?"

We both laughed...

As the Omegas say, "Friendship is essential to the soul..."

Til' Next Time...

--Bleek G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Beneath the Underdog
I'm a black music aficionado with a lot of opinions...nothing more, nothing less...