Saturday, February 26, 2011

My Type...



First of all, listen to the song...

Done?

Good...

Now rewind it and let it play in the background while you read...

Ready?

Go.

Now...

One thing that I pride myself on is being a man that's able to look at himself objectively and see his flaws. Occasionally, I think its a good idea to step outside myself and look at me as a person and take inventory of what I need to work on to be a better man.

Often times its a painful journey of self exploration, but its still a necessary part of being the man that I aim to be.

So, as a man...I need to be able to acknowledge the fact that I have some great qualities that I want to hold onto and some...well...not so great ones that I need to fix or let go.

So, ladies and gentlemen...I never thought I'd admit this OUT LOUD but...I have something in common with Aubrey Graham...y'all know him as Drake...I too tend to fall for the wrong type...

Yup...I'll admit it.

As much grief as I give Drake about not being more selective with what he hops on or chooses to push to the masses, I'll readily admit that I can appreciate the fact that he doesn't shy away from talking about things that the average thinking man can relate to.

While I won't go so far as to say that he speaks for the lions share of intelligent, young, ambitious black males...I will say that he's a refreshing voice in a mass marketed genre that's shown only ONE aspect of the black male mind...

I digress though, this post isn't about Drake...

Its about the fact that I always fall for a certain type of woman...

More after the break...













Alright...so, I've identified the type...

Intelligent, ambitious, beautiful, self-starting, goal oriented, educated, talented, and very meticulous about their planning...

All of those are EXCELLENT and attractive qualities. I LOVE those things about them.

Then there come the negative things...

They're more than likely emotionally unavailable...

They've more than likely had a history of dysfunctional relationships...

They tend to be distrustful almost to the point of being unwarrantedly intrusive...

They also tend to see things from a very negative point of view when it comes to romantic relationships...

Herein lies the rub folks...

I know EXACTLY why I go after these types of women...

I'll tell you why after the break...













Its because its a challenge...

Seriously...

I've never had a problem in the "Getting Females" department. No really, I haven't.

Like I said before, I'm not the tallest, buffest, or richest brotha on the planet, but I definitely have a mouthpiece. I can be as charming as I need to be...and USUALLY if I find myself desiring a woman, I can go get her.

I'm not a playa or anything...anymore...I'm just putting that out there...

So when I meet a woman that I'm ACTIVELY pursuing and she presents to me a certain challenge, I HAVE TO meet the challenge.

Its a competitive thing.

I have ONE SIMPLE RULE about my interactions with women. Never leave a situation worse than you found it. I've been fairly successful at abiding by this rule without being a simp.

A couple of times, usually for both my safety and sanity, I've had to completely break contact and run like hell, but I'm usually pretty good about dropping a good gem of help in someone's lap...even if it doesn't work out.

So...if I acknowledge this, and I understand this...why am I writing about it?

Truth be told...I'm not sure.

Desiring a woman that is challenging isn't necessarily a bad thing...CHASING a woman to me though is...

CHASING means there's no reciprocation of admiration or affection...

Being challenged by a woman means there's a mutual respect, admiration, and desire there, but there are also some issues and situations that should be addressed...

Ok...so I just wrote that...then I read it out loud...

Does that mean I like women with issues?

No...

I'll tell you exactly why...after this LAST break...













NO!

I DO NOT LIKE WOMEN WITH ISSUES...

Let me make that perfectly clear...

HOWEVER, I don't mind a woman with a little (emphasis on "little") baggage...

At our age, I realized that most women are going to come with baggage...

And fellas, lets be perfectly honest...if you're keeping it 100 you've got baggage of your own...

Don't look at me crazy, look at yourself and all the madness that you KNOW goes on in your life...

So, look at it like this...

If I've got baggage...and I know it...and I acknowledge it for what it is...

And you've got baggage...and you know it...and acknowledge it for what it is...

What is so wrong about trying to find somebody with a matching set?

If I were to rate my baggage, I'd say...I've got a backpack...

So, if you've got 2 Louis V. Duffles, a Steamer Trunk, 3 Suitcases, a Travel Bag, a Backpack, and a Purse...I'm probably going to get a restraining order against your ass...

However, if you've got a backpack like me...I'm all in for the journey...

Sometimes people tell you they have a backpack and show up with 3 Suburbans worth of ish though...

I can't help that, but I definitely don't mind the backpack...

So, I guess the moral of the story is...

Hell, I don't know...

I just know I had a moment of clarity regarding MY situation and decided to share it...

Hopefully, you got something out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Beneath the Underdog
I'm a black music aficionado with a lot of opinions...nothing more, nothing less...