Friday, January 21, 2011

One of Those Questions...








First off...check the song...please...

Ok...

Sometimes I just like to sit back and think...

Novel idea, right?

And sometimes those thoughts lead me to those random questions that can't really be answered with just a simple statement.

Questions like...

Is Tupac really dead?

How did America end up owing China so much money?

Will Dave Chappelle ever come back to reclaim the title of the pound for pound best black comic in the game right now?

How much wood WOULD a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

What the hell was Gucci Mane thinking when he tattooed an ice cream cone on the side of his face?

Is Mos Def gonna put out another album?

Does Dr. Dre really think we're stupid enough to be still anticipating Detox?

Is Nikki Minaj's booty real?

Does Jesse Jackson think anyone still pays attention to him?

Last but not least...when do you know you actually "like" somebody???

More after the break...













Say what you want to about Bobby Valentino's level of talent, skill, whatever...but you HAVE to admit fellas...that he's made a song or two that you can relate to...like that one...

Now...back to my question...

How do you know you "like" someone...

Is it after the first date? First conversation? First kiss?

I understand that we can get butterflies in our stomach and maybe a little nervous just talking to certain people. I think that's just a physical response to attraction...

I mean, attraction is like fear. Think about it...

What do you do when you see someone you're attracted to?

Some people stare.

Some people get a little warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Some people's ability to speak shuts off.

For me, that relay switch that's between my brain and my mouth that's responsible for filtering what I say COMPLETELY shuts off.

I remember when I first met the "Queen of The City" in Ten Pin in ATL I think I did all of the above. She reached out to shake my hand and I forgot to let go.

If I recall correctly, one point I even slipped up and said, "Damn you fine!"

I immediately wanted to take the words back because I'm sure I sounded thirstier than a Somalian marathon runner, but it was my attraction taking over.

I digress though...slightly.

So, I know some people equate their physical responses to someone with actually "liking" them, but I'm a little more cerebral than that. I may even be overthinking the whole thing.

None the less, I firmly believe you can be initially attracted to somebody and not "like" them...and sometimes vice versa.

I'll go in depth about that after the break...













Ok...so before the break I said you can be attracted to somebody and not "like" them and you can also "like" somebody and not be initially attracted to them...

For example...

I am initially attracted to a number of females. If you look throughout my dating/relationship history you'll see women of all skin tones, sizes, and backgrounds. Many of them had drastically different styles from one another. There was the light skinned "Ms. Jackson" who had an affinity for books, poetry, cerebral conversations, and all things spiritual. Then there was milk chocolate "UPS Girl" who was a bit materialistic, didn't like to read much, wasn't much for intellectual conversations but; she made me laugh all the time, she was very supportive/caring, she always knew what to say to make things right, and we ALWAYS had fun.

Both of these women I was INITIALLY attracted to, but only ONE of them did I "like" almost immediately.

The other had to grow on me...

Now let me flip it...

Ok, I know that I'm not necessarily what sistas describe when they think of their "dream dude"...

I'm well under 6 feet...

I don't make a buttload of money...

I don't drive a flashy car...

I'm really not that dude that chicks look at and automatically swoon...

HOWEVER, I know who I am and what I have to offer. When you get me, you'll be getting a dude who's driven, highly intelligent, understanding, caring, and able to handle himself as a man in any situation. You have a fighter AND a lover, a protector and a provider, a warrior and a poet, an intellectual and (if need be) an ignorant dude.

So, more often than not when I meet women they don't just fall into my lap; but after a few conversations, maybe a shared smile or two, great laughs, and a few serious talks, they tend to like me. (Side note: It usually happens these days after a moment when I've taken my shirt off too...don't judge me!)

Which brings me back to my original question...

When do you know that you "like" someone?

Well...I guess I'll try to answer that question SOME TIME this year after I get back to the real world...

I'm gonna start sending notes out like in elementary school. "Do you like me? Yes, No, or Maybe? Circle One..."

(I got a "No" back once....lil' heffa...)





2 comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Beneath the Underdog
I'm a black music aficionado with a lot of opinions...nothing more, nothing less...