Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Obligatory New Year's Post...






First off, watch the video...

Secondly, this is the obligatory New Year's post that every blogger, writer, poet, and [insert cliched artists title here] is going to be doing over the next couple of days. I figured I would go on and get it out of the way, because the one I do on New Years Day will actually be kind of serious and personal...well, most of my writings are personal so that one will be serious.

Here we go.

This time last year I was in a relationship that I thought was going somewhere. Well, 12 months or so later...looks like I was wrong as hell. She's off saving the world one child at a time. I'm here in Iraq trying to stay safe and sane, writing to pass the time, and trying my hardest to do a good job at keeping up the morale of warfighters and contractors all over the country. She'd probably spit on me if she saw me. I'd probably try to cross the street and hope she doesn't hit me with a flying roundhouse kick to the scrotum if I saw her.

Last year as 2010 was coming around, I was enjoying a toast and a kiss in one of my favorite cities. This year, I'll probably wake up to the sound of car bombs and a snoring roommate before I walk about half a block away to take a shower in water that may or may not be hot.

Last year, 2010 began with me feeling drained and somewhat lost...2011, begins a much different way.

Why did I say that?

To let you all know that it doesn't matter how you start the New Year, your life will take you where its going regardless of your resolutions and how you bring in the new year.

Let the superstitions go. Put away the pot of black eyed peas for good luck. Stop cleaning those damn collard greens. I know some of you people out there believe in eating "chitlins" (or "chitterlings" for the bourgie people) on New Year's, I'm not exactly sure why....but feel free to put that 5 lb. bucket of pig guts down and air out your house to get rid of that smell.

More after the break...















I listen to that song every morning when I wake up...

Ok, so I know everyone's excited about making New Year's resolutions, but my question is, why?

If you continue to allow your past to negatively affect your present, then you'll let it negatively affect your future. Which means your resolutions aren't worth a warm fart on a cold seat.

It seems like all of 2010 was about me making amends for missteps of my past; I was tying up loose ends from previous years; taking out trash that had been around me for too long.

Alot of people always talk about cleaning people out of their phones and lives in the New Year. Why? Take their ass out throughout the year! Why waste your days on dead weight? Don't use the New Year as an excuse to do something that you KNEW you should've done in July? Seriously!

That's like, "Man...I really gotta use the bathroom...but you know what, I think I'm just gonna drop this deuce at Midnight because I don't wanna drop it today...what time is it? 4:00? Damn..."

See how crazy that sounds?!?!?!

Let stuff go when it NEEDS to be let go.

Last segment after this break...













If you didn't think that was cold...Hip-Hop is no longer in need of your services...

So, since I have no New Year's Resolutions, because I think they're pointless, I'll just give you guys 5 things that I learned and began practicing in 2010 that I'll be continuing in 2011

5. Controlling My Emotions - Once upon a time not long ago, when Bleek wore dreads and never moved slow/He was a little boy that was misled/by his own damn emotions this is what they said/You need to follow me and focus on the past/I'll lead you right and never make you sad...

Screw that...

I realized that most of the decisions I made for like 7 years of my life were emotional. That's BANANAS. I'm completely convinced that had I not been such an emotional person, I probably would've FINISHED writing the book I've started a total of 6 times now....and deleted 5 times. I probably would've had control over my bad habits ALOT sooner. Hell, a lot of stuff. Now that I'm BACK in control of my emotions (I'd slightly slipped for a second) I'm gonna be sure to keep them in check.


4. Plan More - This goes back to the emotions thing. Being emotional often made me spontaneous. Spontaneity can be a good thing in romance, sports, and "on your feet" decision making. It can be a HORRIBLE thing when planning for the future though.

3. Be a Better Father - I try really hard to see my daughter as much as possible. I know I can't see her while I'm here in the sandbox, but I'm definitely going to take advantage of the time that I have when I get back. I'm going to hug her and squeeze her to death. Buy her books instead of toys that make noise and drive her mother crazy. As a side-note to that, I'm going to make sure that I continue to let her mom know that I think she's doing an EXCELLENT job at raising our daughter day in and day out. She's an awesome mother to my little superstar.

2. Leave Crazy People on Crazy Street - I don't know what it is about me, but I meet the CRAZIEST PEOPLE on a regular basis. The thing is, since I'm a journalist, I find they have the most AMAZING stories and I tend to hang around them to see what's in their head. Some of them turn out to be AWESOME overall people! (Yes PSM, I'm talking about you.) Some of them turn out to be absolutely insane...like JL or LM...

Either way, people come into your life to either build or destroy. When I see they're there to destroy they GOTTA GO! ASAP!

1. DREAM BIG! - All of my closest peoples already know the plans I have in the works for 2011. I've already assembled a group of talented individuals to help make this a success. In return, I'm going to help many of them expand their dreams. I realized that while I revel in being a loner and cherish the "do for self" attitude that I've developed, sometimes a dream is only as good as its cast. The ULTIMATE DIRECTOR and PRODUCER is already there in the Most High...all we have to do is play our role and embrace our cast members.

Now somebody pass me a non-alcoholic beer...its a celebration...

-Bleek G.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. It was many things -- thought provoking, humorous, wise, and witty. Best of luck (hard work & perseverance) to you, and your cast & crew in 2011. May the ultimate Director bless you and keep you safe. All the best!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. where are the videos!!! Great Blog as usual....you sandy ars Alpha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle
    Godspeed to you!

    E, the videos are there what's wrong with your 'puter!?!?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Beneath the Underdog
I'm a black music aficionado with a lot of opinions...nothing more, nothing less...