Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

"There are three ways in which a ruler can bring misfortune upon his army: By commanding the army to advance or to retreat, being ignorant of the fact that it cannot obey; This is called hobbling the army. By attempting to govern an army in the same way as he administers a kingdom, being ignorant of the conditions which obtain in an army; This causes restlessness in the soldier's minds. By employing the officers of his army without discrimination, through ignorance of the military principle of adaptation to circumstances. This shakes the confidence of the soldiers."

-Sun Tzu, the Art of War



I never thought in a million years that I would EVER agree with John McCain...

A year ago, had you told me I would be on the same side of an issue with John McCain, I probably would've looked at you crazy and walked away.

2 years ago, had you told me I'd be in agreement with John McCain on a major POLITICAL issue with John McCain, I probably would've cursed you out and drove away playing Young Jeezy's "My President Is Black"

I've learned to never say never though...

Today in beautiful Baghdad I awoke to the news that the Republicans successfully filibustered the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"...and I actually felt relieved. Strange, I know...

I was not happy...
I was not overjoyed...
I did not do a "Tiger Woods Fist Pump" and reach over and give the pic of my daughter a "Terrorist Fist Bump" while saying "YESSSSSSSS"...

I simply breathed a sigh of relief...

Why?

Well, its a rather simple explanation...wrapped up in a series of personal experiences and universal military truths. (Come on now, if I really thought it was that simple do you think I'd be blogging about it?)

The military isn't the place for social experimentation, social change, or social causes to be fought. Let's be honest, Gay Rights is an issue of Civil Rights and is a Social Cause. (Notice the use of capitalization)

DADT along with the rest of the Universal Code of Military Justice is based on generally accepted civilian federal and state laws. The UCMJ changes based on changes in federal and state statutes, codes, and laws. Its like this for a reason. The military cannot (and should not have to) sustain a fluid regulatory system to create policy. Seeing as how we serve at the will and request of U.S. citizens we should be a reactionary SERVICE with regards to the will of the people, as opposed to an agent of change to use as leverage upon the people.

The sole purpose of our military is to defend our nation and protect its inhabitants and interests. Our mission is NOT to create social policy change...

NOTICE I said, "the military should be a reactionary service with regards to the will of the people." That does not mean that the military should be the initial battleground with regard to social change. I am all for activism. Anyone who know me, knows this. I am all for equality. I am all for the unalienable right of every American to have life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. How do I feel about gay marriage or gay relationships? Well, I say go for it. I don't plan on marrying a man and if another man decides to, how does that affect me? It doesn't, so by all means...live your life! Advocate for your cause! Just DON'T make the military a pawn in the game. ESPECIALLY while we're at war with one country and providing a large scaled "Advise and Assist" function in another.

Another problem I have with the way the DADT is being attacked is the blatant LIES that are being told regarding the policy. The policy IN NO WAY PROHIBITS PEOPLE FROM SERVING THEIR COUNTRY BASED ON THEIR SEXUAL PREFERENCE! I repeat, the policy IN NO WAY PROHIBITS PEOPLE FROM SERVING THEIR COUNTRY BASED ON THEIR SEXUAL PREFERENCE! To say otherwise is a lie...

Lets be real again folks. Our military is probably the most diverse entity in the country. I can look around my office right now and see individuals from 10 different states. I'm working with a civilian who's an Iraqi born American citizen. There's another civilian who's an Egyptian born American citizen. One of the officers in my unit is a native of Puerto Rico. The military is a veritable cornucopia of diversity. That includes people of various SEXUAL PREFERENCES. I've known a number of gay soldiers in the short period of time that I've been in the military (further proof that DADT doesn't prohibit homosexual Americans from serving) and truth be told...NOBODY cares.

No really...no one cares.

Truth be told, if you're getting kicked out for violating DADT there had to be a couple of things present to get you to that point...

If you're enlisted:
a) shitty NCOs

b) you pissed off a couple of high ranking people

c) your agenda was to be a "martyr" for gay rights

d) you probably pressed the issue and CHOSE to violate a DA regulation and the UCMJ

e) you were set up and no one chose to protect your right to privacy (*This has happened, but there are ways to fix it*)

If you're an officer:
a) you had shitty leadership

b) you pissed off a couple of higher ranking people

c) your agenda was to be a "martyr" for gay rights

d) The UCMJ doesn't apply to you and so you CHOSE to violate the the directive thereby pushing you into category "c"

e) you were set up and left to hang out to dry by other officers because they wanted to "throw you under the bus" for personal gain (*That's happened in a few occasions, but primarily after "b")

Either way, the 13,500 soldiers that have been put out of the military in the past 17 years as a result of violating DADT had some messed up circumstances for them. 3rd party outings have happened and, WAAAAAY more often than not, are dismissed.

There have been individuals who have "come out of the closet" in an attempt to keep from deploying. Most of the time, they get a verbal reprimand and still end up packing their stuff and heading to the sandbox.

I could go on for days about this, but I'll stop here.

The bottom line is that Social Activism has no place within the rank-and-file of the military. Everyone that VOLUNTEERED to serve knew when they came in that there were certain things that they could not do in the military that would be perfectly fine (or at least have negligible repercussions by comparison) in the civilian world.

Also, I sincerely wish the DADT activists would stop making untrue statements about the regulation and our Armed Services. To do such disrespects soldiers, airmen, sailors, marines, and coasties who are homosexual and those who serve with homosexual service members daily. You're painting us as an archaic bunch of chest beating idiots who beat up on the first person that's different. It's wrong, unfair, and should stop. (**Glaring at Lady Gaga**)

That's about it...

-Bleek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Beneath the Underdog
I'm a black music aficionado with a lot of opinions...nothing more, nothing less...