Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Why I'm No Longer Anticipating a Jay Electronica Album...



Ok, let the song play in the background as you read this...

Got it playing?

Good.

So, I chose one of Jay Elect's more popular songs here...it also happens to be my 2nd favorite song of his. That's not the point though.

I'm giving up on anticipating a Jay Electronica Album.

Why? Well...because we've been down this road before.

These eclectic artists come out and show these amazing flashes of brilliance and greatness and we're waiting for years on an album that either never materializes or is a struggle disc of epic proportion.

Think about it...

How long have we been waiting on an Andre 3000 album? Hell...an Outkast album for that matter?

How long did we wait on Saigon's album? (Admittedly though, it was heat...when it came out 5 years later.)

How long did we wait for a worthy follow up to Illmatic? (I am... was decent, but it wasn't what we really wanted from him...it took Jay-Z going at his neck for him to come back to form...)

How long did we wait for Lauryn Hill to bring out a follow-up to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill... (Now some of y'all are going to say Unplugged was solid, but lets be honest folks...that's your loyalty talking. We stretched to find personal meaning in some of the songs and simply felt sorry for her...)

We waited for a minute to watch Lupe follow up a pretty decent album, The Cool, with this Lasers bullshit that HE didn't even like...(I still say it was his own fault, but I digress...)

Now we're going to be waiting on an album from Jay Electronica that will more than likely be heralded before its release as the lyrical opus of the decade only to be critically smashed by bloggers and legitimate music critics alike...

More after the break...













Sad thing is...I want Jay Elect to succeed. I want for him to drop a "5 Mic worthy", XXL Rating Grabbing, Multiplatinum Selling, Critically Acclaim, Grammy Award Winning, Internationally Loved, and Underground/Purist respected album SO BAD. I really do...

The thing is...he's going to play himself completely out of position. He signed to Roc Nation, so he's got a label head that's a lyricist and a business man. His creativity probably isn't in jeopardy and he'll get the marketing push that he needs.

So, what's standing in the way? I'd argue its Jay Electronica. He's done interviews stating that he wants to make his album perfect because the stakes and expectations are so high and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

I know how long it takes to make an album Jay...I also know how long solid artists take to make a good album...I'm sure it takes a little bit longer to make a GREAT album, however when you go almost 6 months without a solid leaked track or a single...something seems shaky fam.

I haven't even heard any mixtape worthy material Jay!

Come on man...

I'll tell you why I'm disappointed after the break...













It seems like a number of the artists I relate to either completely crap the bed when it comes to album time or quit rapping altogether.

I loved Lupe until this last struggle plate that he tried to make excuses for...

I was a fan of Saigon, but had to wait about 5 years for his album...

Raekwon comes through for me from time to time...

Mike Bigga (formerly known as Killa Mike) is my favorite rapper right now...

Phonte of Little Brother was my favorite rapper, then he decided to kind of ease away from spittin and focus on singing. Which is ok because I like his Foreign Exchange stuff too and I understand why he did it. (Side Note: Phonte's solo hip-hop album comes out September 13th. COP THAT!!!)

Andre 3000...I've been a 3000 fan since SouthernPlayalistiCadillacMuzik...I was still listening to him when he started wearing 3 outfits at one time...I was still rocking with him when he started wearing blouses and stuff...Now that he's completely fallen off the face of the musical earth and dropping 2 to 3 pop songs a year and MAYBE a freestyle on someone else's joint...I can't even keep him in my top 5...that's sad to me.

Now there's Jay Electronica...an artist that I respect and who's music I enjoy. When I first heard Attack of The Clones, I became a fan...What The $#%^ is a Jay Electronica? made me want him to keep dropping music...

Now...I'm just a salty ass blogger waiting on an album that may never materialize...

A tissue for my sorrows?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Beneath the Underdog
I'm a black music aficionado with a lot of opinions...nothing more, nothing less...