Monday, February 7, 2011

Religion For Dummies...








First off...listen to the song...

Ok...for the last 7 years or so I've had a kind of dysfunctional relationship with God.

To some of you that may sound weird...but its the only way I know how to describe it.

I know He's there and that He talks to me, comforts me when I need comforting, all the stuff that you know...people attribute to God...protection, survival, (insert basic human need here), and all that...but we don't talk much.

Why?

Well...its because, much like a lot of people, I'm confused as to Who He Is...and who really speaks for Him...

Seriously! I listen to a lot of different preachers...hell, my Pops is a preacher...but they seem to all differ on the details as far as what God is about...

More after the break...













Its weird to me...because I feel like everyone is embracing a different God...

Its like, to some people...God is the mystical man in the sky who micromanages our every move

To others, God is the protector of the poor and the thorn in the side of the rich...

To some, God is the guy that blesses you with material things if you just abide by certain terms...like a loan officer of some sort.

To a few people, God is a guy that's a well kept secret...

To people like me...we don't know WHO to listen to...so we just talk to God directly...

Now, I understand that God is supposed to be all things to all people...so...maybe they're all right...or maybe they're all wrong...I don't know...

The concept of "Jesus is My Homeboy" was GENIUS to me, because it showed that Jesus should be someone you feel comfortable talking to...

(My personal Jesus kinda looks like Anthony Hamilton...don't judge me...)

I just don't really understand who's speaking for God...is that weird? Am I wrong in some way for thinking that? Have I been hoodwinked or something?

I'll tell you what I believe after the break...













I believe that the Most High God created us all for a certain purpose and it is up to us to find that purpose. He doesn't hide it from us, He just asks that we seek it AND Him. When we seek Him, our purpose is often revealed through our path to Him.

I believe that God does NOT micromanage us. If he wanted to micromanage us, He would not have given us free will. Our daily decisions are not essentially ordered by The Most High. God didn't tell you to wear those jeans today. Your Jordans being tied or untied do NOT matter in the grand scheme of things. HOWEVER, I believe that God CAN direct certain opportunities and "coincidences" to be placed in our path so that we can better use that "free will" that He gave us to be used to find Him.

I don't believe that God wants everyone to be rich...that's almost preposterous to me...

I believe that God wants the best for us like any parent wants for their child. The best for us doesn't always include a Bentley, a Jet, a lacefront, and the Bible on an iPad...(Too soon?)

I believe that God hears our prayers and protects us when we desperately need to be protected...God does NOT intervene on your behalf though when you're drunk in the club talking crazy to the bouncer about how you're going to beat him up....that's Satan...and he laughs at you...I do too...I'm just saying...

I believe that God gave us the Holy Bible through divinely inspired writing...I think that those who choose to study His word and preach it to the masses should also study the history of the Word, INCLUDING alternate translations because there are many things that can be gleaned from it.

I believe that God is a man... (Please don't email me calling me sexist...I'm not in the mood for that today...)

I believe that God is loving, kind, fair, and can, at times, be angry. However, I don't think God punishes us like people think...

I think attributing human traits to God like unforgiveness and vindictiveness makes Him smaller...

I'm not claiming to have ANY of the answers...

I'm just saying what I believe...

Ya'll can argue about God's name, what He wants, and who's right ALL you want to...I don't really care who wins the argument either...I know what I believe and I know who to talk to about it...

Ya'll take it easy...

--Bleek G.

1 comment:

  1. Insightful as always....Especially candid.....Never written for "other people's approval-and that's what I love! Without being deep & theological, you're right. God certainly wants It's Us to seek Him & look to Him, and the Bible is the surest wayyyy to do it. Alot of preachers but they may not be preaching Truth....and who wants to include more lies in their life!?! And yes, life isn't all about front lace & bibles on ipad....And He is a MAN! Spit forever.... Me

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Beneath the Underdog
I'm a black music aficionado with a lot of opinions...nothing more, nothing less...