Friday, February 18, 2011

On Memories and Dreams...








First off, watch the video...

Done?

Good.

You ever noticed how great your memories of some people are?

Its like...you can be having the most horrendous day ever and you think back to a kind word, a smile, a gentle hand on your back...and, for some, a kiss.

Those memories sustain us at times. They are the foundation of our dreams and fantasies...our wants and wishes...our deepest heartfelt desires.

We take those memories and mold identities of some people based on them.

Everyone has a person in their life that they've created an identity for based on memories. Some of these identities are superheroes in human form. Godlike even. We put these people to a high standard and knowingly, or unknowingly for some, put them on a pedestal higher than we can ever reach...

Other identities are more villainous...we've taken the darkest moments of experience with these people and given them a negative title. We may even call them enemy. Its the closest thing to hate some of us have...

What happens though when your memories and dreams come face to face with your reality?

More after the break...













Sometimes we create people based on who we want them to be rather than who they really are...

Lets be PERFECTLY honest here...

When it comes to interpersonal relationships we can all be just a wee bit delusional at times. All of us have run into the problem of reconciling someone's character with who we thought they were.

I could tell you all day who I am, but when I show you who I am...would you be willing to see me?

I'm not sure many of us can pose that question to others and get a 100% accurate answer.

I'll take myself for example...primarily because I don't feel comfortable speaking on anyone else's differences between their persona and their person.

If you sit around me long enough, you'll find that I'm a fun-loving, fairly intelligent guy with a sometimes mean-spirited sense of humor. If you've ever known me on a "relational" level (I use that word only because I can't think of any other way to put it...) You'll find that I'm fairly even-keeled and at times unemotional.

HOWEVER, if you know who I am on the inside, you'll see that I have insecurities, flaws, and faults that are overcompensated for by my brash, thrill-seeking exterior...

We all do...

So why is it that we find it so hard to see people for who they really are? Are we so caught up in appearances that actuality/reality has taken a back seat to perception?

More after the break...













My music is all over the place...I know...

Don't Judge Me....

Anyway, back to the point...

People have layers...

More often than not, you have to peel them all back to get to the root of who they are as a person. That may take days, weeks, month, and in most cases years...

The problem is, are you going to accept the REAL them when they show themselves to you? Or will you continue to be misled by the person they TOLD you they were?

Very rarely do our self-perception and actuality match. Think about it...

That girl you see out who's about 3 sizes too big to wear tights thought she was sexy as hell before she left the house...little did she know that we all threw up a little bit in our mouths as she walked by. Now TELL ME she has an accurate self-perception....

I'll bring it home for you...we've all got a co-worker, boss, or friend who thinks they are the best at what they do. They will be the first to let you know how hard they work, what they can do, who they are, and where they should be. They give little thought to the fact that they work about an even amount as everyone around them...

You know that person...

How about the friend that we ALL have that is probably one of the most gifted people that we know...but its everyone else's fault why they can't get a break...we ALL have that friend...(Actually, for a strong 6 months of self-pity I went through back in 07-08, I WAS that friend...once again...DON'T JUDGE ME)

So, I guess I said all that to say...pay attention to the people around you...they can only hide themselves for so long...

Cherish your memories of people, hold on to your dreams with/of/for them...but don't let EITHER come and blind your view of reality...

Ya'll take it easy...

--Bleek G.

1 comment:

  1. "Cherish your memories of people, hold on to your dreams with/of/for them...but don't let EITHER come and blind your view of reality."

    Again, you hit home with a great blog! well written Sir! I have a super tough relationship on the skirts, and after a day of mentally draining myself with school, family and my thoughts, I needed to read this. You males are so damn weird, all unemotional at times, making it hard for us women to connect! :)

    Please, please, please take over main stream media and get your own show or something! You just clarified so many questions and wonders I had today, thinking of my personal situation.

    Memories and dreams....don't let them slip away!
    Continue to be great as you are!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Beneath the Underdog
I'm a black music aficionado with a lot of opinions...nothing more, nothing less...